Iconic Guitars

Vintage guitars, re-issues and relics found on the web or in stores

Monday 9 March 2009

1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

I don't know why but I have had this thing for vintage Les Paul deluxe for a long time. Maybe because I like the 70s, was born in the 70s and these Deluxe are bargain vintage Les Paul with attitude.

Today on eBay is a really nice example of a beautiful wine red original Gibson Les Paul Deluxe from 1978 in a mint condition, with original case from an eBay powerseller.

I'd press the "buy it now" button right now instead of blogging about it if I didn't already own a 1977 Goldtop which I bought for my 30th birthday in 2007 -yep, the nice thing was to finally get a guitar as old as I am!

At $2,500, it's the same price I paid 2 years ago for mine which was not in such good condition, so it is pleasing to see vintage guitars are good investments that retain their value in those hard time. That being said, now seems like a good time to find very reasonably priced pieces of wood.

Back to the Deluxe, I really like that it is in such a good condition, without the usual cracks on the headstock (esp. on those oversized 70's ones) or heavy scratches in the back or arm rest. Also none of those heretic modification -like carving the body to fit big humbuckers.


And the body looks like it's a one-part beautiful log of wood. The lacquer finish is just right. That's how I love it. If you are in the market for a nice vintage or have just taken your money out of the stock market, go for it...before March 16th...or before I decide to add another vintage Les Paul to my growing collection!


2 comments:

Greg said...

Sweet. I just got a 1971 Cherry Red Les Paul Deluxe and have a '90 Cherry Burst. A friend has a '73 in near mint condition. I'd like to find original tuners, bridge and tail-stop for the '71; any ideas?

prynterman said...

I had a wine red standard that I bought new in 1980. Kept it in great condition for 27 years when it was stolen from my home. I really miss that guitar.