Iconic Guitars

Vintage guitars, re-issues and relics found on the web or in stores

Friday 26 June 2009

Back from Canada - Gibson case question

I know I've been silent this week. Reason is that I was on a business trip north of the border.

I was thinking of guitars still and the following question came to my mind:

why are Gibson hardshell cases made in Canada?


I have been wondering about this since I got my first Les Paul USA in its beautiful brown case with pink plush inside and the "Made in Canada" label.



Is this like the US Space Shuttle where the robotic arm is Canadian and sports a nice Canada logo/flag? Like they are not one of a state but we like to include them.

Leave your explanation, rational or funny, in the comments!

3 comments:

freddy1955 said...

In the 1950's and 1960's both Fender and Gibson insisted that their Canadian distributor (Selmer Canada)should be responsible for finding cases for the electric guitars shipped to Canada.
In those days, Fender and Gibson exported their guitars in cardboard boxes only.

This spawned a Canadian industry, that makes good guitar cases. Thats' it.

Guillaume said...

Oh, thanks for your answer. Plain simple story but that's often the case (pun intended) in the guitar world. I like it!

Anonymous said...

Early on the seams of the cases were sealed with maple syrup which formed a really strong bond. This came in handy as the Canadian cases were often called upon to serve as canoe paddles and hockey sticks for goalies.